Monday, November 8, 2010

Tales from the Farm: Highland cattle show

 
Dave Barry says, “Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.” Scientists never saw me about to be licked by a Highland Cow.

The girls have always been interested in acquiring heritage breeds of animals and crops for our small farm. Jac has a rapt fascination for some little animal called a “clootie coo.” Seems to be a small variety of dual purpose cattle breed from the Shetland Isles of Scotland. (CJ throws in a bit of trivia here. The Shetland Coo is the original “house cow,” being so devoted to their owner that when sold, the owner had to hand over a bit of cloth (clootie) with their sent on it, so the coo would follow the new owner home.) Unfortunately this breed is a conservation breed and very difficult to acquire outside of Scotland. However, “Heeland Coos,” a slightly larger dual purpose breed, seem to be raised right here in Wisconsin. A small herd or fold (as is proper) is raised by a friend of CJ's at Four T acres in Burlington, WI. She invited us to attend a breed show in LaCrosse.



We're heeeere.
 


He's sooo cute.


Lunch on the hoof.


Two points for him.


Stalking, phase one.

Larger than anticipated.



Now I get why cats knead a sleeping surface.  He's soffffttt...


Soft, soft bed.


My beds name is Artie. I think he just noticed me.


Surveying my domain? Or is it menu choices?


My new friend Booger. (He's a little snot.) Now I just have to convince him I'm not as tasty as he looks.


Booger in drag for the costume contest. He won first place.


All in all it was a fun day. I'd like to do it again sometime. I'd like to thank CJ's friend Janet Larson for inviting us. And to her family for making us feel welcome and allowing me to play with the coos.

No comments:

Post a Comment