Thursday, November 18, 2010

TeslaCon

“I like this ship. It's exciting.” --Mr. Scott (Simon Pegg)

Yes, I know. It's the new Star Trek. And, while I have very strong feelings about the new release, (Kirk was not born in space!), that will have to be a rant for another time. The quote, nonetheless is extremely appropriate for Teslacon's HMS Explorer II. I have only one other thing to add: Awesome.

Teslacon is a steampunk immersion event. For a weekend, we were transported to the neo-Victorian era where we enjoyed a three day cruise above Europe in a steam powered dirigible (without ever having to leave the Radisson Hotel in Madison, WI). There was mystery. There was mayhem. There was a delightful tea room.

Our travels start with Thursday, the 4th of November. CJ and Jac had been scrambling for the last two weeks to get their clothing made. By the time our journey starts, all they had left to make were the corsets. (Which, I understand, turned out to be quite troublesome.) What was supposed to take a few hours, ended up being an all-niter. For both of them. Now, while Jac is used to a lack of sleep, CJ is not. And we had to be on the road to Teslacon by 7 am. (Fortunately, Jac was driving, thus allowing CJ to catnap.) Why so early you ask? Madison is only two hours away and the Con opens at 1 pm. Jac got herself invited to do fortune telling, as well as a panel on Victorian Era divination techniques. (It was quite amusing to watch her borderline panic trying to get her panel teachings together.) In an effort to keep her calm, I promised to be her assistant for the weekend. Had I known this would have prevented me from getting to some of the panels I wanted to see... No, I probably still would have agreed to it. Especially as I'm getting a coat out of the deal.



Here I am with my passport

and my boarding stamps.



Jac was selling pendulums. I modeled the merchandise.

This lovely Labradorite pendulum became mine very quickly. Until Jac stole it from me. 

<blink> ( Oh, don't start that again. You stole it from me.) 

To be fair, she gave me a different one to keep. A shiny Iolite that goes well with my coloring.

One of the advantages of being Jac's assistant for the weekend was that I got a prime spot on her table. That means I got noticed! And I made lots of new friends, and ran into a few old ones. Including Julie Bowman, the lady who made me in the first place. Julie introduced me and the girls to a friend of hers, Barbara Everson of Bewitching Stiches, who's going to make me a Steampunk Coat!

My first fitting at the delightful hands of Barbara.





I was weighed. I was measured. I was found wanting a coat.

The Tea Room had a lovely selection of sweets.

And then it was time for Tea. We visited this room quite often during our three day flight. The tea, provided by Twinings was available in several different flavors and the Hostess of the tea room was gracious enough to provide Jac with loose-leaf tea for readings. (Too bad no one wanted one.) And the cookies were the best. 

Friday was very quiet. Mostly due to the fact the girls had been up all night. But Saturday, was a different story...



Thankfully, I'm a dragon, not a Time Lord. (Though I may decide to pick up a sonic screwdriver, should my new coat have a pocket for it.)

Of my new friends, this pair was quite intriguing. He's a miracle oil salesman and she's his delightfully raucous assistant. (She's also a fortune teller. She's Robyn Tisch Hollister of Professional Dreamer Tarot, and her husband William Hollister.)

Lord Bobbins and Lady Bobbins

We spent Saturday evening at the ball with our hosts, Lord Hastings R. Bobbins and Lady Bobbins. After the ball, we were treated to a wonderful concert by a Steampunk band, Scarring Party. There was lots of mixing and mingling. Dapper gentlemen and their beautifully attired Ladies made for a truly fabulous evening. And with the thought that Sunday would be our last day of this glorious event, the girls and I retired for the night with mixed feelings. Had I only known what Sunday had in store for us.

The day of Jac's panel dawned bright and warm, unseasonably so for November. Jac's nerves were a little frazzled. She, like me, hadn't been able to explore the ship. CJ was busy photographing the Con, so, aside from short tea breaks, Jac and I were quite stationary. Combine that with her agitation about public speaking, and it became clear that it was a good day for shopping. Or so I thought.



I learned why the caged cat mews

And saw a necklace made from a cousin. (I think.)

Jac and I wandered though the Duty Free Boutiques and saw so many lovely items. There were corsets and pocket watches, pendants and pins made from found items, books, and more books, and clothing accessories for the discerning shopper. And then there was Lola. Mmmm, Lola. 
Lola, the Singing Lemur.

It was her beauty that drew me and her voice that sold me.



Choosing
The winners: a pin for CJ and the World of Luck Bracelet for Jac


And it's a good thing I did. I found the perfect gifts for the girls. And then I discovered the down side of the neo-Victorian ways.

Highway Robbery!

Alak and alas, I was forced to bear my claws and fangs. Beat my wings and did a fair imitation of Smaug. I amused her enough that she let me go with my gifts for the girls. Still, I felt a little hostile until I got back to Jac's table and saw Sam. We met Sam on Saturday when Jac was teaching her how to use a pendulum and other basics of fortune telling. After that, she became quite a fixture at our table, and her company was most appreciated.


Me and Sam


Then it was time for Jac's panel. Divination in the Victorian era. Talk about nerves. My girl has it down though. She forgot to introduce herself, but the panel seemed to be a success, anyway.


First there was the lecture.

Then there were the demonstrations. Lola's handler got a tarot demo from my handler.





It was a full house and Jac ran out of handouts, but aside from that, it went well. We spent the rest of the afternoon telling fortunes while CJ packed us up to return to the real world. Jac had a lovely chat with our host, Lord Bobbins, who invited us to return for Teslacon 2, Beneath the Ether. We'll be taking a three day voyage aboard a steam powered submarine. I'm looking forward to it as the decor of the sub will compliment my coloring very nicely. (Or so I've been told.)

Overall, I give Teslacon two wings up. It was the best con I've been to in a dragon's age. I highly recommend that you attend next year and see for yourself. Plus, you'll be able to come to the Tea Room to meet ME. (And have your fortune told.) And one day, when I learn to type myself, I won't have to subject my poor readers to Jac's blatant advertising.
Fear not, my faithful readers, I will be showing my otaku side at Daisho Con in Steven's Point the weekend of Nov 19-21. Look for my next post soon after.


Cheers,

Faraday,
the Fandragon

No comments:

Post a Comment