Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Geek.Kon


Confucius say: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Or in my case, a beeping alarm clock. 8:00 A.M. It's the last day of Geek.Kon, and having spent the two previous days watching from the auction, today I get to be an attendee.(My girls are awesome.) After packing suitcases and getting dressed, we checked out of the hotel. The drive to the Kon was a short one, but still eventful. The girls felt bad for leaving me behind the night before (when they went to the room parties and a rave), so they made it up to me. CJ let me use her camera and I just had to test it out on Jac's lucky car cat. (Isn't she a cutie?)



Hellooo Kitty!


When we arrived at the Kon, we discovered that it had compressed as it seems there was another event happening in the hotel that day. But all was good. The girls hadn't had breakfast yet, so, on my suggestion, we checked out the hotel cafe. (See my last post for the bacony goodness.) We were trying to decide what to do next, so I took an opportunity to peruse the program. (CJ thought this was a good photo op.)

Proof I was there


I found stuff to do


Jac decided she needed to spend more money, so off we went to the Vendor's room. And we found stuff. And more opportunities for my mad Canon skills.

I just love all the bright colors..


What did Jac need more of?



Nuff said.


My silly girl then challenged me to a game. (No one ever told her not to bet against a Dragon.) Jac started out well enough.



She's good with Talim

But in the end, I wiped the floor with her.


Nightmare rules!


Then we decided to watch some anime. One Piece made CJ's brain melt. The Nerima Daikon Brothers made Jac's brain melt. Galaxy Railways didn't make anyone's brain melt.

No brain goo in this theater



Our show ended way before the next panel began, so in an effort to kill a little time, Jac suggested another game. (I was so thrilled to be a part of everything, I didn't want to tell her she would lose again. So I didn't) There were so many games to choose from. I had never played any of them before so I let Jac pick.



Overheard at Kon: “What games can you recommend for a Dragon?”



She chose Risk

She's good



But I'm better


I was very curious about all the bright colors and fancy garments that walked past us in the hall. When I asked the girls about it, they just said “Cosplay,” and took me to a panel about dissecting costumes.


Dude's got swords on his back!


Our day wrapped up pretty quick after the panel. Someone must have cranked the A/C, because the hotel suddenly got a little chilly. CJ's weather predicting knee was getting the better of her and we still had a two hour drive to my new home. And as I am a young Dragon, and it was a busy day for me, I slept for the entire trip.

Overall, I had a blast. And from what I've overheard from the girls, so did they. Seems we'll be doing this again, only next time I will have brightly colored bits of garments. Perhaps I will even attempt entry in the Masquerade. I mean, if a tortoise can enter dressed as Discworld, why can't I dress up and enter?

And there you have it. I'm Faraday, and this has been my review of Geek.Kon 2010. Watch for my next post. It'll have thrills! It'll have chills! It'll have a sticky floor from where some kid spilled soda pop! Coming soon to a blog spot near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment